Medieval Herbals



So my interest in Medieval Herbals has not been lost, they seem to always catch my eye. I'm interested in how plants are depicted in this time, in their various parts and particular shapes. What is interesting about older herbals is that they are half art and half useful information, they are 'pant portraits' rather than scientific renditions. What usually catches me is the penmanship, or the illustrators unique style. This was the medium through which the artists of that age could share their creative practice.
This recent article on Medieval Plant Portraits,  by Julia Nurse, speaks about particular plants and their healing properties, but also shows images of snakes and spiders along with the plant, representing their medicinal uses.
This might be a curious new element I may need to add to my paintings.



Comments

Popular Posts